Re: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nees" <cookiedan@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: "ihc digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 20:20
Subject: Re: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

> Interesting science study here. If you are in a Scout doing 50 MPH,
> heading into a sustained 50 MPH wind, what would your effective speed
> be, and how far would you actually go?

Your effective speed would be 50mph, since mph are measured over ground.
The effective drag would be that of a scout at 100 mph, however.

>    Plus, factor in the air drag of a large brick, aka the shape of the
> Scout, and I would imagine your effective speed is reduced even more.

You've lost me here.

> Could you effectively reduce it to a negative number? What would happen
> if you had a knob on the dash to increase or decrease the drag of the
> Scout?

so you want to put hydraulic arms on the hood to open and close it while
driving?  ;)

>What if you had a knob to reduce/increase PI? (Wait, that is
> another conversation?)

You could change the ratio of all numbers wrt Pi,  (IE 1= (1 pi or 1/3 pi
etc)).  Then 1+1 would still equal 2.  But 2 would equal 6.28 etc units
(although 6.28 units would be "2 units").

Did this actually *answer* the question, or pose new questions in the guise
of answering?

-Ryan

---