Reply: [ihc] Max sustained winds to drive in?

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Ryan Moore wrote:

What is the max sustained winds I should be willing to drive the diesel in?
(I'm specifying this truck becuase wheelbase is important).

Truck is a traveler with a 3" body lift and 30" tires.

Just looking for opinions.  Looks like the remnants of Ivan will be right
between me and where I need to go this coming weekend.  I'm wanting to go
ahead and set down what the max sustained winds will have to be down to for
me to attempt the trip.
Ryan:

If the sustained winds are above 30 MPH - stay home it just ain't worth it. As you well know, the traveller is a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a small barn.

But the rule of thumb - the faster the winds - the slower you drive, especially on wet roads.

And according to the latest 5 day National Hurricane Center Advisory, 5PM, Sept 12, you can expect sustained winds 30+ MPH in North GA on Thursday. But just where - is the question.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT09/refresh/AL0904W5+GIF/122058W5.gif

And where there are sustained winds, there are gusts in excess of the sustained speed.

Of course this is all speculation by gov scientists, (Ivan hasn't even crossed Cuba yet) but to date the gov scientists have done well with this years crop of hurricanes so far.

At this time, Ivan is a relatively small hurricane with an eye diameter of 15 N Miles, winds speeds 130 - 160, but (according to NOAA) 150 miles from the eye, the wind speed is 30+ Knots.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided