Re: [ihc] Starter update

> > did exactly as yours is doing that were "fixed" by this approach. I also
> > don't care that all I did was mask the problem. I spent less than 15
bucks
> > per vehicle and got at least 3 more years out of each starter.
> >
> > -Allan
> >

> Which is great when you want to get more time out of each starter, and I
> think it's a great thing to do with the original starters.
>
> However, I still say it's a bad idea for him.  This starter was *just*
> rebuilt so he should be able to take it in and get whatever is wrong
*fixed*
> as opposed to having to get it rebuilt again in 3 years instead of having
> nice good starter for hopefully the next 20-30.
>
> Just my thoughts on the subject...
>
> -Ryan

Ryan and Allan-

THANKS a lot for that info and input!  Much appreciated on BOTH points of
view!

BUT, since someone mentioned it, I now have another new question:

I did not notice a spacer ring when removing this starter.  This Scout, for
those playing along, is the '67 body mounted on a '77 diesel/auto frame and
running gear.  I did not think about the spacer ring, because it is the
first diesel I have had, and I just assumed that how it is is how it should
be.  Anyone reading this have a diesel/auto set-up and can tell me if I
SHOULD have a spacer for this set up?

The PO still claims it was all running and working fine last time he tried,
and no mention has ever been made of any recent starter work, and, as I have
said before, my tendency is to trust him-he GAVE me the thing, so not like
he had to make untrue claims to get me to pay him!!!

I will look and see if there is a ring that was just stuck on there, but I
sure didn't notice any, and this engine was pretty clean.

Thanks!

Michael