Re: [ihc] Starter update

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 5:44 PM
Subject: [ihc] Starter update

> Well, it certainly appears to be a sticky solenoid now!

Michael-

It could also be the bearings in the starter. Anything that could cause the
starter to bind in place can cause this. If the starter is not properly
tightened, or if you have an automatic with no spacer ring, or if you have a
spacer ring with no automatic. In other words, alignment.

I always spend 15 bucks or less to install a remote starter solenoid, ford
style. I do this because the power terminal can be moved so that the relay
isolates it from the solenoid on the starter. This means when I let go of
the key, the starter HAS to stop turning unless the remote solenoid sticks.
Well, guess which is easier to disconnect in a hurry, and is easier to beat
on with a handy tool. I don't even care that the fix I use is not the most
efficient use of parts. I just care that it always works, and eliminates
starter run on. Can a starter still stick with this setup? Absolutely, but
I've never seen it happen, and I have two vehicles that have starters that
did exactly as yours is doing that were "fixed" by this approach. I also
don't care that all I did was mask the problem. I spent less than 15 bucks
per vehicle and got at least 3 more years out of each starter.

-Allan