Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

on 2/23/04 4:44 PM, Joel M Brodsky at jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

> I may have neglected to explain that when I remove power via the battery
> cable, the pinion is still stuck in the flywheel and only a vigorous
> "convincing" to the starter solenoid and case retracts the pinion.
> So, thus far it looks like the solenoid, the bendix, or the activator pivot
> are the culprit(s).
> Any which way, it's got to come out.
>
> Ford solenoid or not, I really don't see the benifit of installing the Ford
> solenoid right now.
> I know there are two ways to put those in.
> The High Current way, and the Low Current way.
> Sounds like Tom M, and Allan E have the high current and Hofs has the low
> current.
> Anyone have a writeup on both designs that is clear cut, because if I do
> this I'm going to have to do 5 of them since I absolutely *hate* having
> different configurations on each truck that I drive regularly.
> I'm all about the homologation.
>
> Thanks
> JoelB
>
> For Clarification,
> The starter has a high current terminal with a lead from the battery, one
> from the starter to the alternator (usually bright/light blue) and one that
> feeds interior power to the cab harness.  The starter also has a low
> current terminal which is mounted at the 12 oclock position ont he solenoid
> case cap and is the starter activator line from the keyswitch.
>
> I commonly run a high current (~10A) momentary switch to allow cranking of
> the starter without the keyswitch in the run position.  This allows for
> priming of the engine and other fault diagnosis capability.

You're quite right as Tom will agree when he reads about the arm being stuck
forward, that the Ford solenoid isn't relevant to the particular problem
that you are experiencing right now.

When you do get around to dealing with a better solution to the solenoid
problem, Darrel Kline has a good write-up on the high amp solution on the BB
FAQ. Tom may have a write-up on his site too, as I think I remember seeing
it there.

The low amp solution is pretty much doing the same thing with the Ford
solenoid that you're doing with that 10 amp switch. The Ford solenoid
interrupts the circuit from the ignition to the Delco S terminal and sends a
current from a 10 gauge wire down to the Delco instead.

I'd do a write-up on it for the FAQ, but I have a collection of stuff from a
number of guys that should go into the FAQ, and haven't been able to get
Bill to let me get it in there. He hasn't said no, he just ignores me on
this question. So, if you want specifics, I'd be happy to send them to you,
but a write-up in the FAQ is somewhere in the future, I guess.

Of course, I could probably do a write-up and pics and Tom M. would probably
find a spot for it.

On the surface of it, the high amp solution seems more all inclusive in
handling problems, but the low amp solution is pretty much infallible. As
I've probably already said a lot of times, Fritz used the low amp solution
on a bunch of Perkins diesels which use the same Delco system. No more
problems.

Whatever,

John

John Hofstetter