RE: [ihc] Postal Scout purchase

Pros and cons I see to using the 800 you are looking at as a postal
vehicle.  My first IH was a '67 800 (266, T-90) and I have owned my '71
800 B (304, T-18) since '98 (I think).

Pros:
A piece of history
Cool looking
Fun to drive
Will go anywhere
LHD

Cons:
Terrible turning radius
Lack of interior to hold summer heat and winter cold out
Non power drum brakes
No power steering
Windows don't like to go up and down without help.
It has got to be a pooch with that motor and an auto.
No AC

Now, you could have Fleck fix any these problems or do some of it
yourself (interior).  If I was a mail carrier, I think I would do it,
but I would swap a set of ScoutII axles on.  Bring the power steering
and brakes along when you do it.  Slap some heat reflective stuff down
on the floorboards and cut some truck mudflaps to make floormats over
it.  Then keep an eye out for an early 196 to slap in. Wait with getting
AC rigged up until you find a 196.

Just buy it.  Have Fleck do the axles, brakes, and PS before you pick it
up.

I have driven my current 800 many miles and I can tell you it gets dang
hot inside in the summer and dang cold in the winter.  On one drive
across Ks a couple years ago, I had to stop and buy water to drink and
water to pour on myself to keep cooled down.  I payed attention to some
evaporating times for fun. I could pour water on my thigh to where my
jeans were wet down to the seams on the sides and it was gone and dry in
under 15 minutes.  This was with the full top and doors on in mid July.
Not very smart, I know.

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B