Re: [ihc] Postal Scout purchase

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Bongo" <dbongo@domain.elided>
To: "Greg Hermann" <bearbvd@domain.elided>
Cc: "IHC Digest" <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 22:24
Subject: Re: [ihc] Postal Scout purchase

> Greg Hermann wrote:
> >
> > At 8:23 PM 2/12/04, David Bongo wrote:
> > >
> > >I like the fact that Fleck's Scout has a galvanized body.
> > >
> > >Dave
> >
> > Well-- Here arises a question for you, the Fleckster, and/or Howard !!
> >
> > How many 800's are out there with GALVANIZED bodies ?? Was this
something
> > unique to the Postals ??
> >
> > If so, how much of a job is it to swap the dash over for LHD ??
> >
> > Greg
>
> If I recall the story correctly, the USPS ordered their RHD Scouts with
> galvanized bodies.  To help prevent rust, which would enhance the life
> of the vehicle.  The USPS ordered Scouts for use on mail routes for a
> while.
>
> Believe me, I am tempted to buy the thing as my backup route truck
> without making all the enhancements I've been talking about.  But that
> would bring my personal fleet up to 3 vehicles.  My multi-vehicle
> discount wouldn't help out THAT much for the auto insurance.  (Although
> I probably could drop collision coverage on the 800...)  Considering my
> perception that the 800 has some deficiencies which would take some
> money to iron out, I doubt if the engine has the HP to handle P/S and
> A/C.  Maybe if I switch to an electric fan and add a Weber 32/36 carb.
> I don't know.  Maybe do a body swap onto a Scout II frame.  But, again,
> the money issue crops up.  I probably can figure something out,
> especially with the Cherokee being redundant in this scenario.  Got to
> sell it sooner or later.

No one did ever answer me question about the truck.  I've never seen a
closed knuckle 2wd.  If it's not closed knuckle, then shouldn't it still
have a decent turning radius?

Side note: a chevy swap shouldn't net any better milage than your I-6, I'd
say it'd have been worse.

Sounds to me like if you decide you want it you almost need a test drive
first so you can see what it feels like.

Just IMO.

-Ryan

---