Re: [ihc] Postal Scout purchase

Greg Hermann wrote:

> At 8:23 PM 2/12/04, David Bongo wrote:
> >
> >I like the fact that Fleck's Scout has a galvanized body.
> >
> >Dave
>
> Well-- Here arises a question for you, the Fleckster, and/or Howard !!
>
> How many 800's are out there with GALVANIZED bodies ?? Was this something
> unique to the Postals ??
>
> If so, how much of a job is it to swap the dash over for LHD ??
>
> Greg

If I recall the story correctly, the USPS ordered their RHD Scouts with
galvanized bodies.  To help prevent rust, which would enhance the life
of the vehicle.  The USPS ordered Scouts for use on mail routes for a
while.

Believe me, I am tempted to buy the thing as my backup route truck
without making all the enhancements I've been talking about.  But that
would bring my personal fleet up to 3 vehicles.  My multi-vehicle
discount wouldn't help out THAT much for the auto insurance.  (Although
I probably could drop collision coverage on the 800...)  Considering my
perception that the 800 has some deficiencies which would take some
money to iron out, I doubt if the engine has the HP to handle P/S and
A/C.  Maybe if I switch to an electric fan and add a Weber 32/36 carb.
I don't know.  Maybe do a body swap onto a Scout II frame.  But, again,
the money issue crops up.  I probably can figure something out,
especially with the Cherokee being redundant in this scenario.  Got to
sell it sooner or later.

There is one thing I can say, though, Greg.  It would be a sin to
convert it to LHD.  Sure, RHD is a pain for drive-throughs (toll booths,
fast food, banks) but it is far more functional.  Maybe I've been a
mailman for too long, but I prefer it.  Only in relatively rare
situations do I feel disadvantaged by being on the RH side.  And most of
those are at construction sites.  YMMV, however.

Dave