Re: [ihc] Postal Scout purchase

At 11:24 PM 2/12/04, David Bongo wrote:
>If I recall the story correctly, the USPS ordered their RHD Scouts with
>galvanized bodies.  To help prevent rust, which would enhance the life
>of the vehicle.  The USPS ordered Scouts for use on mail routes for a
>while.

Well--inasmuch as I HAVE an 800A complete with straight frame, 392, T-10
wide, Ranger OD/splitter, and a Dana 300 -- but a rapidly disappearing
body---the idea of a galvanized LHD body is VERY tempting !!!

As far as the 196 goes--the correct solution for more oooomph, at least
IMHO , would be to build it into the engine that IH _SHOULD_ have built ,
but only ever did with the 152 !! ---A 196T would be about PERFECT in an
800.

I even HAVE one of the (export only) low compression heads and some of the
correct pistons to match it in +.020" !! With that 6.5: 1 head/piston combo
(which also has incredibly NICE, near spherical chamber shapes, with LOTS
of squish area), I don't think 18 or 20 psi of boost would be an at all
unreasonable target for proper function on pump gas !! Put injection and
DIS on it, and it would be a pretty fine motor, Probably about equivalent
ooomph to a stock 392, but with a LOT less weight on the nose end !!
There's even GOBS of room in front of the radiator on a 4cyl 800 ---just
the thing for mounting a huge intercooler, say one swiped from a Power
Stroke.

I wish my export head were the IC type, and also wish I had two or three of
'em but oh well. Only other caveat with an IH 4 cyl. is that one REALLY
ought to conjure up a way to mount the alternator on rubber silent
blocks--the way folks like Volvo do--so that the 4 cyl shake wouldn't
automatically disassemble it every 10K miles or so !! Of course, I would
likely go ahead and use one of my stash of 130 Amp Leece-Neville
alternators (rob one from a 'binder school bus every chance I get) on it
while playing with the alternator mount.

Other thing needed on a 4 cyl 800 (ASSuming it came with a 44, and NOT a 27
rear) is to swap out the 27 front end for a 30 (the 30 fronts were only
indiginous to the V-8 powered 800's), and, of course, put disc brakes on
the front whilst at it.

Greg