[ihc] cold start problem (was Re: 13" clutches...)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [ihc] 13" clutches ...I think it is possible

<snip>
> ... Another consideration:
> When it's very cold, I have to sit there with the clutch depressed
> during engine warm-up for a couple of minutes. If I let it out too soon,
> it will kill the engine. I always figured that was due to the size
> and weight of the assembly (but could be wrong - do you all have this
> problem?). On another side note: after I get the engine and the clutch
> going OK, I then warm up the tranny with the t-case in neutral. It can
> take me 30 minutes to warm up my truck in the winter!

---When I was up in Michigan, I would normally experience winter nights
from -20 degrees and below. At times, it could even be -40 and rarely -60
with wind-chill. It would take a good 30 minutes to warm up the truck, that
is not abnormal IMHO. The owners manuals state that you should allow the
vehicle to warm up so the oil will flow properly anyway (not an actual
"quote").

---What I think your problem may be is that the throwout bearing is too far
forward in adjustment and the bearing surface is touching the levers/fingers
on the pressure plate. The correct gap between the two is 3/32", but it
wouldn't surprise me if the cold was causing the metal and/or grease to
expand and making the distance shorter. Still, I would think that there is a
need to take up a little slack in the linkage.

---One problem that I had a while back, was that the holes in the yokes of
the linkage were elongated. When I did was drill them out, making mine 1/2",
then getting some 1/2" stock, cutting it to the correct width (1/4" IIRC)
and drilling the center out to 3/8" to accept the sheer pins. I had in
short, created bushings. That cured the problem I had with slop in the pedal
(depressing the pedal 1/2" before creating any movement in the throwout
bearing).

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)