Re: [ihc] 73 p/u parts on ebay

---The word is always good, but it makes it harder for me to find something
for a cheap price, my being on a 56K dialup modem and all... lol.

---I have bought a few small things from there. A few weeks ago, I won an
auction for a 1/64 scale Traveler. Got a few tail light lenses for a bud in
Australia and a pair of liftgate hinges for his Traveler. Why you ask, when
the company that makes the aftermarket liftgate hinges is based out of Oz?
The company that manufactures them sees that they make more money on
importing them than they do selling to people in their own country, so he
would have to pay what... 200 AUD (Australian dollars) a pair + 50 AUD
shipping, rather than pay 120 a pair AUD or less by buying them on his own
soil. Plus they get taxed heavily for shipping for auto parts if they are
not in the "classic" (30+ years)  category. So my finding him a set of `72
Traveler hinges for $10 + $2 S&H (as a gift) was worth enough for him to
send me some parts like an "INTERNATIONAL emblem from an S series in
exchange... I think that will look nice mounted to the front of my cowl/ram
hood (still on the drawing table) when completed.

---I agree that it could be trouble. I have seen people buying things like
fan shrouds, which cost roughly $50 from a vendor. Bids will be up to
$80-$100 before I close my eyes because I just can't watch anymore. A chrome
side-view iH mirror from a Travelall (basic style like those from a `49 K)
sold for $12 w/gasket one week, only one bidder. Then the following week, a
pair surfaced and the final bid was $140 + $10 S&H. The next week a single
mirror sold for $20. Sometimes I think these people are not allowed to go to
Vegas or their wives will divorce them, so they sit at home and keep hitting
"place bid" button on the eBay site. $140 for a set of mirrors! Not even if
it were a show truck. Then again, I like feeding my wife and kids complete
meals including beef and potatoes.

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)

From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] 73 p/u parts on ebay

<snip>