RE: [ihc] RA-15 disc conversion

>>whoa.  back the truck up.  are you saying it might be possible to convert
>>disc brakes on an RA15?  'cause, like...  if there are disc rotors that
>
> There is stuff out there, lots of current medium trucks use 14-1/2" to 15"
> discs with pretty huge Bendix calipers.
>
> One can start by cruising through a Wagner or Bendix dimensional disc
> catalog !! :-)
>
> And, of course, coming up with adaptable caliper brackets is another good
> trick.

Weld-on caliper brackets are readily available (under $10 each) to put a
Chevy truck caliper (or Caddy Eldo rear) on just about anything.

I think it'd be pretty simple to grab a front rotor from a 73-87 Chevy
3/4T 4x4 and throw that onto an RA-15 wheel hub (sans drum and backing
plate stuff), throw a new Chevy caliper w/ pads onto your weld-on bracket,
position it appropriately, and grab the fire stick.

It's a pretty simple process these days.  For Dana 60 and 70 and 14-bolt
rear ends, you can buy an off-the-shelf kit that doesn't involve welding.
No one makes 'em for the RA-15 though. ;)

IIRC, we're only talking ~12" rotors though.  I haven't looked into
anything bigger lately.

I *am*, however, still waiting for any information on the rear calipers
used on late model Chevy/Dodge/Ford trucks with 4-wheel discs.  The
Eldorado parking brake facility is widely reported to be all but
worthless.  I'm assuming they've made improvements on the '01 trucks.  I
just haven't heard.

Similarly, I'd like to get a good look at the 2000+ trucks with their
commonly larger rotors n' such.  Maybe a new Dodge straight-axle 3/4T
sports some larger front rotors.. in an 8 on 6.5 pattern.