Re: [ihc] D70's and RA15's Why?

> (something that I would have to hire someone else to do). I know that I am
> not
> going to save any money by the time I buy all the parts to convert this
> closed
> 70 over to an open knuckle. I paid $400 for it. Everyone seems to ask

Part of the problem is the most common source for the parts to convert a
closed 70 to open knuckles is from.. an open knuckle 60.  And unless the
Dana 60 housing is bent or broken, it's hard to find loose
knuckles/end-yoke forgings.

There are NEW end-yoke and knuckles available.. expect to spend over $1000
on those parts alone.   Cheaper to buy an open knuckle 60 and cannibalize
it..

> with RA15's in the right ratio...I am just hoping for a posi right now. As

My understanding (aside from Mac's finding of an IH LS for an RA-15) was
that the Dana 70 was available in the 1310 primarily because IH did NOT
have (or did not OFFER) an LS for the RA-15.

If you ordered a 1310, you got an RA-15.  If you ordered a 1310 with a LS,
you got a Dana 70.  If you ordered a 1310 with a NoSpin, you got a RA-15.

I'll admit my sampling pool is limited, but of the 1310s and owners I've
spoken with, it seems most/all of the Dana 70 equipped trucks have
TrackLoks.

Which makes sense, if you think "LS = Dana 70, open = RA-15"

> D70
> that I have for the front is currently a 6 lug. I want to convert it to
> disc
> brakes after I do the knuckle conversion. However, I am going to have to

If you use 60 end-forgings and knuckles, it's easy to make it 8-lug disc.
NEW Chevy internal style wheel hubs area available for just under $200
each.  Add wheel bearings, rotors, and a locking hub.. along with the
Chevy caliper bracket and caliper.

> someone here locally with one so that I can check the clearance on these
> wheels I have over the calpier. I think it will be OK, as I am almost sure

15" wheels can be made to clear if you grind enough from the caliper.. 16s
shouldn't be a problem.

-Tom