[ihc] D70's and RA15's Why?

To publicly answer anyone who may wonder what I am up to with my own
truck....I have a 1210 4x4. I want to upgrade it to 1310 specs...not cover
every little detail like bronze spring bushings etc....just put the front and
rear that 1310 would have had from the factory. When I started thinking about
what I was going to do, I intended to just buy an open knuckle D60 and not go
any farther. However, due to the tires I intend to run, I needed a ratio lower
than the gearing I had in the 60's I have for the rear on hand. So....long
story short...I started looking for the RA15/D70 combo with a ratio close to
what I want (4:88) already installed...ala no need for changing R&P's
(something that I would have to hire someone else to do). I know that I am not
going to save any money by the time I buy all the parts to convert this closed
70 over to an open knuckle. I paid $400 for it. Everyone seems to ask
$1000-$1200 for an open D60. At least when I get it converted, it will be a
D70....an axle that came in a 1310. I have been contacted by several people
with RA15's in the right ratio...I am just hoping for a posi right now. As for
realizing the weight carrying potential of the axle...that is something I am
not concerned with as I don't intend to haul anything heavy any way. The D70
that I have for the front is currently a 6 lug. I want to convert it to disc
brakes after I do the knuckle conversion. However, I am going to have to find
someone here locally with one so that I can check the clearance on these
wheels I have over the calpier. I think it will be OK, as I am almost sure
they were used on a truck with disc brakes before. The rear axle will
definitely be the 8 lug type. I can try one of the wheels on one of the 60's I
have but do not know if this would be the same as trying it over the drums on
a 15. Hopefully this will answer any questions anyone might have about what I
am doing. Changing to a different type of wheel is something that I don't want
to do.

Rocky