RE: [ihc] RA15/RA20 What a can of worms:)

## >> Yep, it CAN be done--but you're comment about 'regardless of
## >> cost' is key !! :-)
## >>
## >> There is stuff out there, lots of current medium trucks use
## >> 14-1/2" to 15"
## >> discs with pretty huge Bendix calipers.

my question mainly centres on whether there are existing disc rotors that
will fit the bearings on the axle.  or if there is a bearing set that will
fit the rotors AND the axle to make the disc conversion.  as i mention
below, the cost isn't what's important to me, there are other issues more
important.

## >> One can start by cruising through a Wagner or Bendix dimensional disc
## >> catalog !! :-)

knowing where to look, when i get the bearing measurements i'll at least
know where to start looking for rotors.

## >> And, of course, coming up with adaptable caliper brackets is
## >> another good trick.

doing the calipre bracket shouldn't be all that hard.  take a lot of work
and trial-and-error, probably, but still within my reach.  i can probably
get access to the neccessary tools here on post at the auto crafts shop, and
a number of friends back in CA with the tools, material, and knowledge to do
any work i can't do myself.  assuming i can find a rotor/bearing combination
that will fit, and then some wheels that will fit over everything when it's
done.

## >> Far EASIER, cheaper to convert. For something heavy, try an
## >> Eaton #19050 or
## >> #19055 -- these can be found with 15" discs and either six or
## >> ten hole Budd
## >> hubs. There is an air operated dif-lok option for the 19055.
## >> Both have a 198K GAWR. Common application was in a Chubby
## >> C-70 or C-80.

in my case, the key here is keeping as much IH-original hardware as i can.
at the time of the axle swap, i had the money and access to the tools, i
could have put just about any axle under the B122 that i wanted (and there
were quite a few really BIG axles that i drooled over, but none of them were
IH).  i wanted the axle from the 1500.  it was another IH truck, which was
the entire point of the exercise.  keeping IH components under my IH truck.
for me, the manner in which i achieve the desired functionality is just as
important as the actual functionality.

going to the bigger Budd Six lug pattern sounds nice, though.  or maybe the
big Budd five.  wheels for that pattern in 18" through 24" are all over this
post.  most of them are on trailers, but they're here.  i've even seen a few
splitrims still being used.  maybe with the right coaxing i could get a
maintenance guy (or girl) to slip me a set of the wheels i want.  <grin>

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi