RE: [ihc] RA15/RA20 What a can of worms:)

At 7:51 AM 11/3/03, Mac @ TRIAD wrote:
>## >> No, you can't use a 15 inch rim. They won't fit over the
>## >> drums, and they
>## >> won't fit over the calipers after you convert. Forget it,
>## >> don't even go
>## >> there, use 16 inch or larger rims, and pick them after you do the
>## >> conversion.
>
>whoa.  back the truck up.  are you saying it might be possible to convert to
>disc brakes on an RA15?  'cause, like...  if there are disc rotors that will
>fit these things, i am *ALL* over it like a rash.  16" discs like Greg was
>talking about on the Raba axle might not be do-able in my case (i happen to
>LIKE my 16" splitrims), but maybe 14" discs?  all the way around?
>
>'course, if i can find the 18" splitrims that i want, i could probably go
>with 15" discs, assuming there are some that will fit the axle.  so.  are
>there such discs, in *any* size, that will fit?  regardless of the expense,
>if such a conversion is possible, it means that those of us who have them
>can keep them, and i'd much rather keep my IH axle than change to something
>else.
>
>--Mac

Yep, it CAN be done--but you're comment about 'regardless of cost' is key !! :-)

There is stuff out there, lots of current medium trucks use 14-1/2" to 15"
discs with pretty huge Bendix calipers.

One can start by cruising through a Wagner or Bendix dimensional disc
catalog !! :-)

And, of course, coming up with adaptable caliper brackets is another good trick.

Far EASIER, cheaper to convert. For something heavy, try an Eaton #19050 or
#19055 -- these can be found with 15" discs and either six or ten hole Budd
hubs. There is an air operated dif-lok option for the 19055.
Both have a 198K GAWR. Common application was in a Chubby C-70 or C-80.

Lots of motorhome axles out there that have big discs, but are lighter than
the above mentioned Eaton.

Consulting on this subject don't come free ! :-)

Greg