Re: Most dangerous braking situation...

When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in Tom Mandera
<tsm1@domain.elided>'s head said:

>so how do you
>train yourself?  Stomp and hold?  Pulse?  One works with ABS, one works
>w/o out.. and the opposite does NOT work.. pumping ABS is bad, and not
>pumping regular is bad..
>
>If you have to think, it's not instinctive.  If you have to decide which
>is better, you have to think.

Tom... how do you think pilots learn to fly several different aircraft
with different controls and different emergency procedures?  How does a
person learn to ride a motorcycle and drive a car at the same time?

In most folks, the brain is a pretty amazing hunk of goo... it adapts quite
easily to the environment at hand after only a short period of orientation.
Practice makes something intuitive, even if your brain has to switch gears
between environments.  At one time I flew in three different aircraft
routinely and didn't have a problem.  I knew pilots that even went to far
as to fly helicopters from two countries of manufacture which had main
rotor blades that rotated in two different directions.  This requires some
control inputs to be the exact opposite between the helicopters.  They
practiced a lot in both and whichever they were in became intuitive at the
moment.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |