Re[4]: Most dangerous braking situation...

     Didn't you all ever idolize Jim Garner in the Rockford Files?  He
     ALWAYS, AT LEAST once per episode, had to perform a quick getaway
     from a situation where he'd driven forward into trouble.  The
     technique to this day is still called a 'Rockford'.

        Pull up to whatever.  OOoops, problem, bad guys, swamp, guns,
     land mines, bombs, closing gates, etc. etc.

        Set trans to reverse, get moving about 20-25 mph in reverse.
     Turn wheels either side, and the front end will ride around the
     wheels.  When approaching 90 deg (front end really has to be
     moving) begin turning wheels the other direction to point in
     direction of travel (away from bad guys).  The front wheels are
     sliding sideways for an instant until the vehicle points forward.
     Then a quick shift to a forward gear, and off you go.

        Now the move is really helped out by the use of a hand
     e-brake, and a rockford only works in a rear drive vehicle.  The
     e-brake, helps the rear end walk to one side to let the front
     swing around easier.

        I'm rather proud to say that I can do this whole thing, with a
     foot e-brake, AND a manual trans.  I'd love to get a video of the
     footwork, to appreciate it more.  It sure is fun.

        Recommended on a closed course, and with old tires.  Very
     amusing.  Impress your friends.

     -Joel