transfer case

Harvesters,

(BTW, I claim precedence with this salutation -- you can all use it, but I
expect a nickel royalty every time :-))

With the recent snows, I've had a lot of use for 4wd lately.  I can shift
easily into 4hi moving at moderate speeds, but I have a hard time shifting
in and out of 4 lo.  I come to a stop, and can shift into 4lo with some
difficulty, but when shifting back to 2hi, I get a terrible grinding.
Actually, this happens whenever I try to go from N to 2hi.  I can
eventually get it in by force, but obviously I don't like to do it this
way.

What gear should the tranny be in while shifting from N to 2hi on the
tcase?  I've tried it in every gear with the same results, except in Park,
I get a fast "ticking" sound.  I don't know what's going on, but it's
keeping me from putting the tcase into neutral, which means I can't go to
4lo.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the tcase?

I have a stock '75 SII with 727 and Dana20?

Thanks,

Rob