Re: transfer case

Rob,

It appears we have the same vehicle ('75 SII, 727, D20), and a simiar
grinding noise.  I have seen sales brochures from IH that advised dealers
on how to shift in and out of 4lo.

Come to a complete stop
Shift the transmission slowly through the gears
While shifting the transmission, put pressure on the transfer case stick
Do not jam it in
Repeat process to go into 2hi

I actually have yet to try this.  I have not had a need for 4lo in a while
and that grinding noise really makes me sick with worry, so I would rather
not fool around with it too much.  Let me know if this works.

Bill Wisser