Re: transfer case

The black helicopters hovering over the house recorded rhughes@domain.elided
whispering:

>What gear should the tranny be in while shifting from N to 2hi on the
>tcase?  I've tried it in every gear with the same results, except in Park,
>I get a fast "ticking" sound.  I don't know what's going on, but it's
>keeping me from putting the tcase into neutral, which means I can't go to
>4lo.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the tcase?

Rob,

I'm going to type up an entry for the FAQ on this subject.  When I first
bought my 76 Traveler (345/TF727/D20), I didn't have an owners manual.  The
first time I was unfortunate enough to put the transfer case in neutral,
upon hearing the grinding noise when trying to shift back out, I knew I was
doing something wrong.

I later learned that there's a very simple but specific procedure for
shifting the transfer case between the various gears.  With an automatic
transmission, this procedure becomes critical as once the automatic
transmission is in gear, the gears inside the transfer case are spinning.
Once you get the hang of the shifting procedure (it takes two hands... one
on the automatic transmission lever and one on the transfer case lever),
you'd be amazed at how well it works.

Since I have trouble remembering important details I don't use on a daily
basis (I easily remember unimportant ones), I made a little "shifting
instruction" chart on my computer, laminated it, and fastened it to my dash
right under the speaker grate using double sided tape.

I'll try to post the chart to the Digest FAQ on the Binder Bulletin on my
lunch hour today.

Regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)