Re: transfer case

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 rhughes@domain.elided wrote:

> What gear should the tranny be in while shifting from N to 2hi on the
> tcase?  I've tried it in every gear with the same results, except in
> Park, I get a fast "ticking" sound.  I don't know what's going on, but
> it's keeping me from putting the tcase into neutral, which means I
> can't go to 4lo.
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is there something wrong with the
> tcase?

My '73 F250 had an automatic.  My Scout does too now, but it doesn't
have a front driveshaft yet, or a transfer case shifter, so the shifting
issue hasn't come up. :)  Anyway, if you have an auto, you can _only_
shift the T-case out of (or past) neutral if the tranny's in park.  With
the tranny in neutral the output shaft is still turning because of drag
inside the transmission, so the transfer case's input shaft is turning
and gears will grind.  If the transfer case is in neutral and the
transmission is in anything but park and the engine is running, the only
way to get the transfer case out of neutral without doing some serious
grinding is to shut the engine off.  I have to do that occasionally when
I forget and do it wrong.

So, while I have no idea what the manufacturers recommend, here's what
works for me:

Stop the truck.
Shift to Park.
Shift the transfer case where you want it.
Drive away.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783