brakes

HI IH,
   I just bought a new master cylinder for the 79
from NAPA. It is part number 1495R. It is a
slightly larger version of what I took off. The
lid is held down by two bars, one over each
reservoir, of the cover. After putting the MC on I
was bleeding the brakes, by myself, I was at the
back pass brake. I saw something sticking out of
the adjustment hole. I pulled the wheel and drum
and found the whole adjustment wheel assembly fell
out. The adjustment lever spring had snapped. I
had to get a new adjustment wheel to replace the
old one. Part # 80557. Now I have a nice stiff
pedal. I haven't had brakes like this for a long
time.
   For what it's worth, I bled the brakes by
gravity. The front I just opened and watched for
the fresh fluid come out. The back I did pretty
much the same, except I opened the rear pass. and
pumped the pedal out for a while to flush the old
fluid out, then allowed the air to leak out before
closing the screw. The drivers side I just cracked
it opened and allowed the old fluid to leak out.
The rear fluid was an ugly blackish color. I would
assume this is not good. What would cause that?
Water in the fluid?

                Dan Nees
           cookiedan@domain.elided
The IHCaholic's web page is up and running at:
http://members.tripod.com/~IHCaholics/scoutindex.html