Shifting from 4lo to 2hi

The IH manual (service or owners) say that this grinding is
called wind-up or wind-down depending on sound.  The way to
eliminate this is to shift the transmission from Reverse to Drive
back and forth with a gentle but firm pressure on the transfer
case shifter.  You must come to a stop to shift out of 4lo, but
if you're in 4lo you're prolly not going fast anyway.  I know
that since I played a whole afternoon in 1992 after getting stuck
in some mud, I have been able to perform flawless quiet shifts,
from any gear to any other, without shutting off, or getting out.

      The np205 in the T'all is another story.  The shifter link
is so sloppy that I have perfected shutting it off in
neutral(transmission) while rolling (~30mph+) and shifting from
4lo into 2 hi, then start the truck again.  It shocked my GF's
little bro this past weekend.  He thought the engine kept dying.

     Try to get ahold of a genuine scout Owner's manual, it
really is pretty descriptive.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.

-----INCLUDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS-----