Re: Engine Swap

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:

> What engines in the IH line can be switched with what other engines
> without needing a converter of some sort?  I love the older body
> style-80 or 800, but would like to put a 345/392 in one.  I had been

Not that I'm an expert, but...

FAIK, the Scout 80s will NOT take a V8 easily.. there's some clearancing
issues in the engine bay.  That said, the bellhousings will work.

V8 Scout 800s will take any of the IH V8s.. 266/304/345/392 without any
problem.  They should all bolt right up.

Also, any lightline pickup, travelall, or Scout II with an IH 4cyl or V8
will cross with any other 4cyl or V8.

The only thing to watch out for is the AMC 6cyl (232/258), AMC 401V8
(used in a few pickups and Travelalls in the 70s), and the Nissan
Diesel.  A truck with an AMC motor will have a tranny with an AMC
bellhousing.  Swap any AMC motor in there.  I recall the 258 powered
Scout IIs need an extra motor mount added or modified to drop in an AMC
304/360/401.

I don't know what other IH motors there were.. BD240, etc. and
compatibility..

-Tom