Re: Engine Swap

Tom Mandera wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Joseph M. Shaw, II wrote:
>
> > What engines in the IH line can be switched with what other engines
> > without needing a converter of some sort?  I love the older body
> > style-80 or 800, but would like to put a 345/392 in one.  I had been
>
> Not that I'm an expert, but...
>
> FAIK, the Scout 80s will NOT take a V8 easily.. there's some clearancing
> issues in the engine bay.  That said, the bellhousings will work.
>
> V8 Scout 800s will take any of the IH V8s.. 266/304/345/392 without any
> problem.  They should all bolt right up.
>
> Also, any lightline pickup, travelall, or Scout II with an IH 4cyl or V8
> will cross with any other 4cyl or V8.
>
> The only thing to watch out for is the AMC 6cyl (232/258), AMC 401V8
> (used in a few pickups and Travelalls in the 70s), and the Nissan
> Diesel.  A truck with an AMC motor will have a tranny with an AMC
> bellhousing.  Swap any AMC motor in there.  I recall the 258 powered
> Scout IIs need an extra motor mount added or modified to drop in an AMC
> 304/360/401.
>
> I don't know what other IH motors there were.. BD240, etc. and
> compatibility..
>
> -Tom

  Does anybody out there know anything about engine swaps in the older IH
trucks?  Specifically a 1950 6 cylinder 220?  I have a parts truck with no
motor but it used to have a 220 in it.  Might be interesting to put a newer
engine in it.  How complicated would it be to put in a newer engine and
tranny?  It would be nice to have an automatic instead of that 4 spead with
no synchros!!
Tom (Just how many Tom's are there on this list?)