67 Scout 800 info needed.

Well all, I am at it again.

	I found a 67 Scout 800 that is for sale near me for $200.  Let me
tell you about it to see if it really is a good deal.

	First of all I am pretty sure it spend most of it's life in New
Mexico cause there is only surface rust on the hood.  Aside from that the
body is in great condition.  It is a faded orange color and the only other
flaws are that the drivers door has a chip in the paint about stone sized
which shows the blue primer (I think it is primer)  And on the liftgate
there is no latch to hold it closed.  the handle is there but no piece of
metel to hold it closed.

	Interier wise it looks great.  The seats are perfect, the dash is
perfect, the lights int he dash wiggle but that is ok.  Everything appers
to be there, includeing the siggerete lighter which still works quite
well :)  And it has four 6.00X16 tires on it - which are all bias and look
like they may have come with the scout.  There is no spare but there is
the rack on the back.

	Under the hood is a 196 which I am sure needs new rod and main
bearings cause of the obvious clocking sound.

	The kicker is that it is right hand drive :)  Which in itself
makes me smile.

	The problem is that I can't get it started.  For some reason the
lock cylinder sticks but usually it won't engange the starter.  So I got
under it and jumped the starter and it cranks all day long.  But wouldn't
start cause of OLD gas.  I put some downt he carb and it finally fired up
but once you let off the starter, it dies again.  If you could keep the
starter going along than the car would run fine.  But once you let off
that starter it dies.

	Could this running problem be old gas?  It smells REALLY nasty -
almost like turptine.  I added some gas to the left tank and had the
little switch set to the left tank but that didn't seem to help.  Which
brings me to ask - what all is involved in switching to the other tank?  I
know on my Travelall you have to turn the know and than pull or push it
out.  Is there a push/pull thing that I am missing?  I only switched the
toggle switch to left.

	I am thinking of going back and dissconencting a gas line and
running it into a gas can to see if that would get it going.  Sopposilly
it ran about a year ago.  And with gas in the carb it will run, untill you
let off the starter.  However after I got it to where it would start
everytime you cranked it - the second you let off the starter it would
die.  And I am SURE that I ran out all the gas in the carb.  Is there
something that might not be working right?  something that owuld allow
spark while I am jumping the starter but not when I quit jumping the
starter?  I suppose I could hot wire the coil if needed (I have done this
to the Scout II to get it going - always starts :)

	I guess what I am asking is...  Could the running problem all be
in bad gas?  The engine will get going when you start it.  But when you
let off the starter it dies.  The ignition switch is a bit goofy so I
wouldnt' be too surprised if there was soemthing not right.

	I would like to give this Scout a good home but I am reluctant
till I am sure it will run cause that will put 5 vehicles in front of our
house.  2 Jeep Cherokees, a Scout II, a Travelall, and the Scout 800.
Which I am sure will draw complaints.

	Any help would be GREATLY appreicated.

	Thanks,
	Luke