T-case noise.

------------quoted material---------------

From: DurangoMan <sbaird@domain.elided>
Subject: T-case noise.

I have a model 20, single stick transfer case in my 76'
Scout, and
it is driving me crazy.  It makes a kind of grinding rattle
most of the
time, particularly when you let off the gas.  When the hubs
are locked,
but it is in 2-wheel, the noise is nearly continuous.  When
4 wheel is
engaged, there is the continuous rattle, plus a horrid
grinding rattle
when you let off the gas, or push down on the pedal from
zero throttle.
Help!  I'm almost afraid to drive the thing, for fear that
some vital part
is going to shoot up through the floorboards and kill me ;)

    DurangoMan

------------end quote------------------------

Durango,

I had a 74 Datsun/Jeep hybrid a few years back.  The Dana 20
made the exact noise you're talking about when coasting, and
in 4wd.  ...turns out the center gear (I think it's called
the "intermediate") and the shaft in the transfer case were
wasted.  The bearings are not caged, and ride between the
shaft and gear without a race.  They can wear a nasty groove
in the gear and shaft and cause the noise you describe.
Parts are available (I think), but Dana 20 cases should be
easy to find.

Doug,
'78 Scout
'78 Traveler