Re: T-case noise.

DurangoMan <sbaird@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>	I have a model 20, single stick transfer case in my 76' Scout, and
>it is driving me crazy.  It makes a kind of grinding rattle most of the
>time, particularly when you let off the gas.  When the hubs are locked,
>but it is in 2-wheel, the noise is nearly continuous.  When 4 wheel is
>engaged, there is the continuous rattle, plus a horrid grinding rattle
>when you let off the gas, or push down on the pedal from zero throttle.
>Help!  I'm almost afraid to drive the thing, for fear that some vital part
>is going to shoot up through the floorboards and kill me ;)

Silly question, but I gotta ask... have you checked the gear oil level?  I'm
guessing so and it's probably a little beyond that.  Sounds like time for a
tear down, inspection and rebuild.

Sorry,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)