RE: [alfa] Grinding valve shims vs valves

With regards to grinding the ends of the valve stems ...

This is common practice during a valve job if the old valves are re-used.
When the valve faces and seats are ground the valve moves further up into
the head towards the camshaft. If whoever is doing this, is not familiar
with Alfas and gets a little too enthusiastic, or this is the second or
third valve job on the head, then you won't have shims thin enough to be
able adjust the valves to spec.

In order to avoid this problem, the ends of the valve stems are 'tipped' as
it is called. This should not provide any problems with the valve keepers
interfering with the shims provided it (as everything else should be) is
done in moderation. If too much material is removed here, then yes, the
keepers can and will interfere with the shims and the results will be
catastrophic.

In order to help avoid these problems, I prefer to use new valves when
having a head done over, but they still might need to be tipped depending on
the condition of the valve seats.

HTH,

Jeff