[alfa] Grinding valve shims vs valves

At 08:10 PM 1/18/04 +0000, you wrote:

"Ward, First of all, the shims were used, not new. The shims were
turned down on a lathe. How much do you have to take off? If its a
significant amount I would take it off the valve. They are through
hardened (consistanty hard throughout) and not case hardened (just
the very surface). Peter."
I'm not an expert, but it was my understanding you DO NOT want to take any material off the valve stem, because it can lead to insufficient clearance between the shim and the valve keepers, and can lead to catastrophic results if the keepers release the valve.

Anyone know for sure?

//kct, Powell TN