Re: [alfa] GTV-6 Ball joint removal-update-final

It's done! For those who have been hanging on, no doubt breathlessly, to my front shock replacement saga the job is done and the car is back on the road. Thanks to Graham, John and Joe for the help. Graham may be dismayed that I didn't follow his advice to weld nuts onto the broken bolts. I probably should have, but I was already too far down the other path... I did need to enlarge the slots on the lower shock ears to accommodate the 10mm bolts. I don't think this will cause a problem but time will tell. I did take the opportunity to cut (grind) 1/8" off the "A" arm spacers in an attempt to get the camber somewhere closer to spec. It "eyeballs" good. Now I need to take it to the alignment guy, the one (actually it was two) who told me it couldn't be done, and have him fiddle with the caster and toe. BTW, the suspension book I have is for the Alfetta and has a November 1975 date on it. Are the front end geometry specs from this book good for an '84 GTV6? I think Cardisk uses the same specs but if anyone has other info I'd be grateful.

Next project: "Sport rear springs." IAP and others say they are a little stiffer and about 1.5" lower. That would be good since the front end is lower than stock and it looks like a 40 Ford hot rod (Does anyone remember "rake?") Can I install rear springs without unhooking the half shafts? The book seems to suggest they be unbolted but the book is a little vague on this point. I'd just as soon not go there if I don't have to. Seems I could just unbolt the shocks and the Watts link and drop the DeDion tube as far as it goes and remove/replace the spring. Or, do I need to glom onto a cheap (i.e. Harbor Freight) spring compressor? Also, any other suggestions for a source for shorter/stiffer rear springs?

John