[alfa] GTV-6 Ball joint removal

Semi related to the current discussion of removing torsion bars, how does one separate the lower ball joint in the absence of the factory tool?

I had a front shock fail and upon investigation found that one of the bolts locating the bottom of the shock had broken and the resultant flexing caused the other attachment ear on the bottom of the shock to break. Easy fix, I foolishly thought. I bought new shocks and in the process of removing the old ones broke two more lower attachment bolts off, even after soaking them with PB Blaster. So then I thought, "drill out what's left of the bolts, re-thread the holes and replace with larger bolts." Hah! That ain't happnin. After an hour on my back trying to drill onto a blind hole I got pretty much nowhere. (My kingdom for a lift!) And, even if I did get somewhere I have no idea whether the hole would follow the bolt hole or find its own way through the A arm and emerge out the other side somewhere other than where it should be. So, now I think the best approach is to remove the lower A arms and do the work on a drill press. Hence the need to separate the lower ball joint. An added advantage to this would be that it would give me the opportunity to grind some material off the A arm spacers to try to get back to somewhere near the correct camber number. (The car has been lowered and the camber is about a ton too negative.)

John
84 GTV-6
Indiana