Re: [alfa] GTV-6 Ball joint removal-update

Well, it rained all day yesterday providing a perfect excuse to remove the lower control arms in order to repair the broken off shock mount bolts. The right side went pretty much according to the book. The lower ball joint released from the arm surprisingly easily and the torsion bar came out of it's socket - not easily - I was in constant fear of breaking the puller bolt off inside the bar end. The left side bar simply wouldn't move and my courage failed. So, I ended up taking the control arm off the bar rather than withdrawing the bar from the arm. Then, with the aid of a BF hammer, I pounded the bar back from the rear spline mount.

Now, a question. I am going to drill out the broken 8mm shock mount bolts from the lower control arm and drill and tap them to accept 10mm, 1.25 bolts. What is the recommended drill size?

John