[alfa] torsion bar blues, help please? (long)

I installed the 25mm torsion bars on the Milano last Sunday with helpful tips
from Chip and others in the forum, it took me several hours to finish the job
however installing the bars was the beginning, adjusting the height was
another story

Sunday night the front of the car looked like it was a 4x4

Monday it was so low I couldn't (nor wanted) to leave the garage for risk of
damage

Tuesday looked great, just to find out the following day that the driver's
side was 1/2" lower than the other side, causing the tire to rub badly inside
the wheel well.

Thursday night I got it back to stock height, however the driver's side still
1/2" lower than the other side (it was like that also before I installed the
25mm bars)

However, I was never able to make the small height adjustments that according
to the book can be accomplished by rotating a notch on the bars.
I tried any possible combination between the front and rear notches, only to
end with a 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" height increments, too high or too low
and honestly after a week of working double time between my job and the car I
am completely frustrated and exhausted with VERY sore muscles, I cannot
figure out what am I doing wrong,

The only good news is the fact that after driving the car you forget all the
pain since the handling improvement is great without being stiff at all.

If someone has any suggestions I will appreciate it vary much, thank you.

Gilles