[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #252

Well, My two-cents worth is that most GTV-6 engines don't really need a
full rebuild. The bottom ends of these puppies are virtually
indestructible and probably are good for 300-350,000 miles, but check
for oil consumption (a good Alfa V-6 engine uses very little oil), and
if in doubt of the shape of the bottom end, go ahead and rebuild it.
The tops are a different story. Alfa GTV-6 camshaft lobes wear more
than most, and when they get the surface hardening worn off of them,
they start to work on the tappet buckets of the intake valves as well
and eventually wear a channel in them. This wear pattern is
characterized by a "clickety-click" sound when when the engine is
idling and usually affects the left-rear cylinder first (don't ask me
why). So, if you're going to do a head rebuild, I suggest that you
replace the stock camshafts with 164 'S' cams (since you're gonna
replace them anyway). They're the same price (at least they are here in
the States) as stock, and even though designed for the 3-liter 12-valve
version of the engine, will work well in the 2.5 liter. They'll be good
for a few extra "free" horses too, never a bad thing (IMHO). Also,
replace the valves. Use aftermarket, and skip the factory sodium-filled
exhaust valves. The sodium-filled bit sounds exotic, but they're not as
good as modern, solid valves. If you want to really wake-up the
potential performance in your GTV-6, replace all the fuel injectors
with higher-flow injectors. You should check the injectors anyway
because they tend to get clogged as the miles pile-up. swapping them
out for new is not a bad idea.

http://www.oldebottles.com/italiancarspage5.htm

The Stage Two injectors mentioned on this site can be sourced from
these folks or from Bosch. I've been told that they are the injectors
used on the BMW 6-series from the mid-eighties. Not 100% sure of this
however, they could just as easily be the injectors used in the later
24-valve Alfa engines, especially the ones for the 3-liter, four cam
unit.

Finish the whole thing off with a pair of new, single-piece head
gaskets, and don't forget to replace the timing belt, the water pump,
and the belt tensioner while you are there. Also, take a look at the
oil-pump and check it for wear. If the pump-gear has seriously rounded
teeth, replace it. The teeth should have a nice square shoulder on
them.

Other than porting, relieving and gas-flow testing, tubular tuned
headers, a fre-flow exhaust, and a better ECU, that's about all I would
do to a stock GTV-6 engine in the <150,000 mile range (which most seem
to be). If you do decide to rebuild the bottom-end, check out the 2.7
liter or even the 3.3 liter overbore piston and liner kits available
from England. Since these drop-in directly into the block with no
modification, they are no more difficult to fit than are a new set of
standard piston/liners, but the improvement in performance will be
immediate and impressive.

If you do the work yourself, and don't do the bottom-end, the parts
will cost you about NZ$4000 add another NZ$2500 if you replace pistons
and liners and main and rod bearings and the oil-pump. This estimate is
based on US prices and might be totally off the mark for your country.

I would suspect that for this kind of money one could find a low-milage
Milano Verde (Alfa 75 3.0 liter Sedan) engine and just do a swap. But
since Alfas are still sold there you might even be able to get a post
1996 3.0 liter 4-cam 24-valve engine out of a late 164 or a wrecked
3-liter coupe /Spider or even a 156/166, and convert it to
front-engine. rear-drive. I've seen it done over here with the first
generation 164 24-valve 164 engine and it works remarkably well, I just
wouldn't recommend the pre-1996 24-valve engine because of the timing
belt path issues that the 1996 redesign fixed. Actually since you NZers
drive on the "wrong" side of the road, such a swap becomes easier
because the brake booster canister won't cover up the oil cap on the
front cam cover when the lump is rotated 90 degrees to drive the rear
wheels as it's on the right-hand side of the firewall on an RHD model
and not the left as it is here.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'