Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Public Slamming

Well I've read and re-read all the mails on this issue.
I've also counted to ten, and taken a deep breath, so
hopefully I'm ready to compose my reply to Glenn
without further upsetting him or anyone else.

Firstly, I was rather surprised to see Glenn imply I'd
slandered Mike Wattam.  I think any court in the world
would take the opposite view.

I would also like to know when were the "4 or 5 times
this quarter" that I slammed Mike.

When I read Mike's original reply to Ian Soady I felt he could
so easily have named the Stag Owners Club magazine, instead
of referring to it as "another magazine".  Other list members
might have been interested to know which magazine it was.
When a suitable opportunity arose (i.e. my reply to Dean)
I decided to supply the missing information.

On the matter of "skirmishes going on between the SOC and TSR"
well with two clubs catering for the same group of enthusiasts
I think it's inevitable that there's some rivalry but I wouldn't
use the word "skirmishes".  A little good-humoured banter
doesn't do any harm though.  You can't be serious all the time.

Let me remind you of something Mike Wattam wrote in a mail
last October.  He was referring to the European Stag meeting
and how many members attended from the various clubs.

He wrote (I'm cutting and pasting his actual words):-
"It was very encouraging to find over 50% of those present
are members of the TSR (of course the very great majority were
also TSCD members, our valued hosts), although no doubt some
smart alec in another club will again try to make out they were all their
members!  Still, it's fun baiting them!"

I think the crucial word here is "fun".  No-one objected to his mail
at the time so presumably it was taken in the spirit it was meant.
I am simply continuing in the same vein.  Although all Mike's
mails are sent to "TSR Mailing list" I don't object, even though
I'm not a member of TSR, and only subscribed to the "Stag Digest"

I simply want to remind everyone that the Stag Owners Club
was the first club for Stag enthusiasts; it is still going strong
with over 4000 members and will continue for many a year yet.

Mike made a very large contribution to it when he was a member.
I will be using several of his technical articles and comments
in the Technical Reprint book I'm compiling.

Pelham West sums it all up when he says "This forum is meant
to be for our enlightenment and enjoyment."

I'll second that.

As he also suggests, I've re-read this reply 3 times, and changed
some words, so I'm now going to hit the Send button.

Before I do, Glenn asked whether he should apologise to me.
Don't bother Glenn; I think I'll sue you.  $500,000 in damages
should keep my Stag on the road for a few miles.

(It was a joke, honestly............)

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570
Kent. U.K.