Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Targa anyone?

Hey Chris,

Well, that's not a targa, but a very nice t-top.

Think about the structure of the original hard top.  You need to see one
without a headliner.  There is originally no structure in the hard top
that runs fore to aft in the center of the top.

I need to believe that a very talented metal worker braced the top by
adding flanges around the apetures, which would serve to seal the
assembly against water and stiffen the structure.

In my conversion, which consists of a cut straight across the top at the
front edge of the roll bar, and a canvas front section that is glued to
a soft top header fail, with fabricated side rails.

I should say that the fabric is designed, but not made up.  The
collapsable frame has been built, but needs to be re-built.

I attempted a welded structure at the front edge of the surry top, which
was a complete disaster.  The blasted thing warped all over the place.
I ground away the new metal, and replaced it with Ash.  Well, they build
Morgans with Ash.

The item I think you'll like, when I get a pic on the web, is that the
Surry top is bolted to the toneau panel, and swings up to reveal the
space behind the rear seat.

C-ya,

Kevin harrop
'73 Stag w/ Datsun Z drive train