Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Still Looking

Hi all again,

I have been reading the list with great interest, continuing to learn in
preparation for my future Stag ownership.

I have not found one yet, but I feel I am getting closer.

The one I am currently considering, certainly has some issues, which I
think are reflected in the price.  The positive factors are the extremely
good condition of the interior and exterior of the car, it does not
overheat, there don't appear to be any leaks from the head gasket, no oil
in water, water in oil, no timing chain clatter etc.

One of the issues I am deliberating over is:  It does not run well at
all, although it idles quite smoothly.  It is as if it is not firing on
all cylinders, with the occasional backfire.  The car currently has a
Ford dual barrel carb, but I would receive the original SU's, also there
is only one set of points in the Dual point distributor.

I don't mind having to deal with carb and ignition problems, but the idea
of perhaps having to have the engine torn down to investigate this
problem is my main concern.  (the engine has been rebuilt, and although
it was many years ago, the car has not been driven much and I don't
really know if it has really ever run correctly?)

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts

Alan B.'