Stag/Stag Digest Archive

starter inhibitor /reversing switch in auto box

I replaced my starter inhibitor /reversing switch in my auto box this
weekend.  A couple of things came up.  Before installing the switch, I
looked down the switch hole with an inspection mirror.  (box in car)
I could see this disc like plate rotating when shifting gear, with
various slots in.  I can see the operation of this. My question is
this, the car will start in any gear other than reverse.  The reverse
lights come on only when reverse is selected so that looks fine.  What
could be wrong?
Another question,  there is this WO wire going to one side of the
ballast resistor/ and coil.  The other end goes to the starter.  The
end that goes to the starter is disconnected.  The car starts and runs
normal.  What is this wire for, other making a connection to the coil?

===
Sujit Roy
786 Erie Circle,
Milpitas, CA 95035 U.S.A.