Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Brakes

Drove my 1971 Stag/Rx7 conversion on errands yesterday as it IS my daily
driver. Pulled into a parking place and did my business. After backing
out of the parking place and moving forward I needed to brake in
preparation for entering traffic. Upon braking, there was the most blood
curdling screech/grind from the brakes that I have ever heard -
seemingly from the front. I made it home using the silent handbrake and
parked, shaken to the bone. Half an hour later, I drove the car a 1/4
mile without a sound. Next braking opportunity, the roar was back and
the car was garaged with the assistance of the handbrake. It sounds
worse than if the disk pads were worn off on both sides. Any hints??
Many thanks, Randal Cruikshanks, San Luis Obsipo, California