Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: help with Stag parts and windshield trim

Lawrence G. Miceli wrote:

> Once again, I am trying to fit the chrome windshield trim on my 73 Stag.
> The problem now is that the two sides of the chrome trim have different
> profiles. In other words, the cross section of the drivers side is pretty
> much a "C" shape, with each part of the inner lip being about 1/4 inch,
> while the inner profile on the passenger chrome trim is about 1/4 inch on
> the top and about 1/2 inch on the lower lip! This has made it impossible
> to put the chrome trim on. Has anyone else discovered a difference in the
> trim? I am at the point of hiring a windshield shop to put it on, but
> they just want to glue it in place.
>
> Also, does anyone have a good used vent/drain flap (p/n 616206) that I
> could buy ? I have not been able to find one worth a darn here in South
> Florida as the heat has destroyed the rubber. I would like to try
> Eastwoods kit to make copies of this part.

Lawrence,

Yes I have also noticed that there seems to be two types of windscreen
trim, the one has a narrower groove that the other. Either type can be
fitted using the tool in the ROM but I found that in the corners of the
narrow one the groove got even narrower and so I had to grind a small
amount out to make the groove the same all the way round. I then
succeeded but it was tight !

My guess is that the groove was widened slightly for later cars to make
it easier to fit for aftermarket windscreen replacement.

Good luck,

Dave.
--
	Dave Biggs