Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Low Stag Prices

At 11:12 AM 1/23/99 EST, CWN72@domain.elided wrote:

>Let's face it, the Stag in the US is worth what the market will bear and
>there's nothing we should be worrying about.  It fills a nitch in the Triumph
>range and more Triumph people are getting into them (Henry Frye for
instance).
>Time will tell if the value goes up, but I for one couldn't care less.  I'm
>not a Stag owner for the money or prestige of owning a big bucks car.  I
spend
>money on it for the love of the car, even if I haven't driven it in years!

I agree wholeheartedly with Clark. From what I have seen, the Stag really
is an undervalued car. As we all learned in Marketing 101, the value of
anything is what a willing seller will sell for, and a willing buyer will
pay.

I found my Stag on the VTR classified site. I emailed the owner for some
info, and told him I would be in his area in three weeks. I contacted him
then, the car was still available, so I went to see the car. He told me he
got a few emails, but no real interest from his ad. He was asking $2500! My
point is, I didn't rush at all. Anybody that knows Triumphs would take one
look at this car and snatch it up at that price. To make matters worse, I
lowballed the owner, waited over a month, and got the car for even less!

If I found a TR3, possibly a TR4, a TR250 or a TR6 in the same condition as
my Stag, (even with the electrical issues) I am sure I would have paid at
least two, maybe three times what I paid for the Stag.

I've been into TR's for about 5 years. I look at every Triumph that is on
the market in my area. I've bought some, sold one and sell parts from time
to time. I bought my Stag because it is a clean, virtually rust free
Triumph. I am confident I will get the car up and running reliably and will
get a lot of enjoyment out of the car. If and when the time comes to sell
it, I hope I will get close to what I have in it. Will it appreciate? Who
cares. I am not in this for the money.

Another point. Last week there was a post of TR values circulating on the
list. If the US prices on that post were even close, I could sell all my
entire Triumph fleet for something in the neighborhood of $55,000! Any
takers?  ;-)

 Henry Frye - thefryes@domain.elided - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   	Driver
 TR250  CD690 L     	Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L    	Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L    	For Sale (soon!)
 Stag MkI		Gonna have to move this up the list...
 Homepage         http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/