Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Low Stag Prices

Hi Henry and All

Well, a Stag is only for owning, not for speculating on, that's for sure
even in the UK.

But how do you stop them drifting back to Europe?  Most Europeans imagine
that every USA car has no rust because the weather is perfect and that is
why they are sought-after.  But the Stag (uniquely) is a pig to convert
from LHD to RHD, which really slows down the flow of USA cars into the UK.

I do know of British parts stockists who have spent a lot of time in the
USA filling up container after container with cars in all conditions as
well as good body parts for all kinds of Triumphs and they are often bought
'out of the newspaper' from university students, scrap yards etc.  This
stuff is boasted of as being bought for peanuts, I had one guy who bought 2
new Stag door shells for 20USD.  It is quit possilbe these parts are being
shipped back to the USA at full price.

In Switzerland for instance, the TSCS club contact their local Rover
dealers and the importer to buy up any surplus Triumph parts at knock-down
prices, and keeps contact with scrap yards also.

Find some way of stopping it or at least slowing it down or there'll be
less Stags to go round and no spares in the USA.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register