Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Low Stag Prices

In a message dated 1/21/99 4:15:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gmerrel@domain.elided writes:

>  Hi Clark,
>  	With low Stag prices in the USA, no serious collectors interested in
> restoring,
No-one that restores a car ever recoups the money spend on restoration
(especially considering time), no matter what the value!  People restore cars
because they are infatuated with them.  One of the rules of Triumph ownership
is to buy a restored one because it's cheaper that doing the restoration.  How
much do you expect to spend on your Stag?  Is it worth it?

>  no USA parts suppliers interested in supplying parts, no junkyards
> interested in
>  keeping Stags around for parts so they get crushed/shreaded, low values
> deter owners from fixing and restoring.
Low values also allow us low-bucks enthusiasts to afford undervalued hulks,
original engines that were taken out and easily restorable cars.  For those of
us so inclined, we buy up the undervalued hulks from the junkyards (I know I
have with GT6's and Spitfires). Actually, I think there are Brits coming over
and taking some lesser Stags back to the UK (I admit this is to our
detriment).   As for the Junkyards shredding the cars, most of the yards I
deal with are savvy enough to know these are special interest cars and will
make an effort to send them the proper way to another yard or collector.

If our Stags were as valuable as in the UK, how many of us would be priced out
of the Stag Owner's group?

>  If the Stag had the proper
>  classic/collectable status recognition in the US, there might be more USA
> parts
>  sources.  As it is now, US Stag owners must buy through East Coast Jag's,
> used, or mail order from the UK.
I really don't think that with the low number of Stags in the US with the ease
and affordability of importing direct from the UK that the US suppliers should
make any difference.  Everyone remarks at how it is cheaper to order from
Rimmers and other UK suppliers already! Sometimes with eating the core
charges!  One reason we deal UK also is the knowledge base in the UK versus
here in the US.  Why would any US supplier stock a line of parts for a
potential customer base of 800?  Many on those cars are in good order and
don't need many parts per year.

>  I'd like to pick up a VB/Special Interest/Moss/
> TRF
>  catalog for my Stag parts.

Again, that'll never happen regardless, there aren't enough in the US!  The
Rimmers and other UK suppliers have rather nice catalogs already.

Let's face it, the Stag in the US is worth what the market will bear and
there's nothing we should be worrying about.  It fills a nitch in the Triumph
range and more Triumph people are getting into them (Henry Frye for instance).
Time will tell if the value goes up, but I for one couldn't care less.  I'm
not a Stag owner for the money or prestige of owning a big bucks car.  I spend
money on it for the love of the car, even if I haven't driven it in years!

FYI: Spitfires are only worth pocket change also, even in good condition.
I can get you a 1980 in real nice condition for less thatn $3000.  If I had
the garage space I'd have it!

Clark