Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Rearend

Hi Mike,

Fair point, I do try to make sure that the structure of the car is solid
before embarking on any suspension tuning. It's like engine tuning:-
Don't try to get more out of it unless the bottom of the engine can take
the extra loads. Then make sure that the drive-train can handle the
performance delivered.

 The downside of such suspension uprating is that various components do
get more use/abuse i.e. Wheel bearings, Stub axles, Wheel studs, Spring
Mounts etc... Personally I like the polyurethane bushes because they
don't have the compliance of rubber (which gives a vague feel to the
car). But they do have very little resistance to movement in the correct
plane (I'm referring to the bushes that have metal sleeve in the middle
such as the trailing arms and track control arm bushes). They're also
impervious to oil and grease and don't degrade that way. In fact I've
yet to see a polyurethane bush that has failed.

 The Track Control Arm bushes I use have Ear's or Lip's that sit out
side the arm on both sides. This stops the arm slipping and rubbing
against the suspension cross-member (don't know if you've ever seen
this?).The biggest improvments I've made suspension wise was just
changing the drag strut bushes and steering rack mounts for
polyurathane.

Most Triumph suspension components are I believe "Over-Engineered" by
today's standards and seem capable of taking these loads. I do make a
point of reinforcing the Drag-Strut's and strengthening the Diff
Nose-Piece.

With regard to the 2000/2.5 range don't forget they were rallied; quite
comprehensibly and reasonable successfully. Triumph/Leyland had the view
that the "Big" Saloon was the vehicle to use for rough road rallying.
Africa and the London to Mexico to think of two. The worst problem I
heard of was on one of the African rally's;  the back half of a Saloon
started breaking off (just in front of the sub-frame mounts). I don't
want to even think about that type of abuse. As a testament to Triumph
engineering  I believe that car still completed the rally.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided