Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag with Ford V6 ???

Hi Alan

There are some purists out  there who will tell you it doesn't work.
However, I would estimate around 200 have been converted over the years,
with varying degrees of success.

The first thing to look for is the quality of the conversion.  Those
conversions done by 'Hurley Engineering' in Coventry were quite good, some
others are OK but there are also a lot of 'lash-ups' about.

Various Ford V6's have been used.  The Hurley conversion mentioned above
used the Ford 'Essex' 3.0 litre V6 which was very rough and not too
powerful.  This engine was superceded by the much smoother and rather
lighter Ford 'Cologne' V6 initially as a 2.8 litre with carbs, then 2.9
litre with injection which at last had reasonable power and torque back-up
to be comparable with the genuine Stag V8 engine.  There are very few
indeed of the 2.9 injection engines fitted to Stags.

I have seen one Stag with an alleged RS3100 motor in it, this was quite
fast but the NVH (noise vibration and harshness) was unbelieveable.

A major problem with all three stock engines is a lack of longevity due
mainly to head gaskets, overheating and cam/valve problems, and the habit
of exhaust manifolds to break - because they have to be 'cut-and-shut' to
fit the Stag engine bay.

Welcome to the world of Stags.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register