Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Jackshafts & Waterpumps

Hi Daryl

Your water pump has lasted longer than usual.  There are a lot of water
pumps with soft gears out there, and also some bad jackshafts.

I am assuming your water pump is still under warranty, if so have a go at
your supplier, but due to the high costs most are trying to avoid any
responsibility and will blame the fitter.

If the original supplier is Unipart please let me know, I am building up a
large collection of water pump failures and negotiating with them.

Do not rreplace just tghe water pump and jackshaft, as you will noe have
many shards of steel floating round your engine.  It needs a complete strip
and clean out.

Here in the Stag Digest and the Triumph Stag Rgister I have always
recommended that in the case of a water pump leak, you rebuild it with new
seals and bearings.  Not only is this MUCh cheaper, at least you know the
gears will not strip within 2-3,000 miles!

Mike Wattam
Triumph Stag Register