Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fuel Pump

MArk

Greetings from Canberra.

Fuel pumps are pretty easy to fix.

Providing the shaft moves up and down through the body all is well.
For a total rebuild, a new set of contacts, + a new diaphram + new washers and one is laughing.

The secret to success is how these units are put back together.  My Stag manual says to screw the shaft into the contacts until they WILL NOT roll over and then back off 6 holes.  No worries about this.

What it does NOT tell you, and this is something that I learnt many years ago when I had a 1960 Morris major which uses the same pump, is that when the base is clamped down the diapham must be pre-streched.

To do this, raise the contacts to their maximum lift using a wedge, screw driver, etc., and then clamped the base tight.

Otherwise there is not enough movement in the diaphram and the contacts will not roll-over.

keep staggering   Brian