Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Fuel Pump

Hello Mark,
	First, what is wrong with your fuel pump?  Maybe a careful dissassembly
will reveal the problem?  Could be the contacts are in need of dressing
with fine grit sand paper, #1 problem.  Maybe a used pump?  Lots of
sources from other owners parting out Stags, and some good parts yards.

New Parts and assemblies:
	East Coast Jags sould be the first stop for the SU Pump and or rebuild
kit, albiet maybe a bit pricey.  Call John at 1-800-475-9257.  Tell him
I referred you and ask for a catalog and price sheet (the same as SNG
Barratts catalog).  East Coast Jags has their parts supplied by Barratts
and Barratts suppliers, but Barratts no longer sells retail Stag parts.
	Second bet and the best option is BURLEN FUEL SYSTEMS - Home Page
http://www.burlen.co.uk/
the owner of the SU mark and parts manufacturer in the UK.  You can
order the parts direct from them and do the rebuild.

Stainless exhaust systems:
	Fact #1:  There is only one size of pipe from heads to the tailpipe on
a Stag.  Only the tailpipe, usually chrome or Stainless Steel, is
"large" or "small" diameter and called "large/small bore". This is as
explained to me by Rimmers, Barratts, Stebro, Double SS, and Falcon.
Some manufacturers may vary their pipe diameter slightly because of
supplier.  A custom made system with a larger pipe diameter than
original will have fitting problems where it normally comes close to the
frame and chassis.  I was originally looking for what I thought was a
larger diameter exhaust system until I learnt Fact #1.  An "expert" told
me that there were 2 sizes of exhaust system pipes, now I understand
what he was really describing to me was the tail pipe final diameter.
	Fact #2:  Yes, there are manufacturers of exhaust systems that do not
pay as close attention to quality and fitting of original curves as a
stock system, and fitting will vary.  I have heard and seen directly
from owners and their cars of fitting problems with various brands, and
good/bad opinions and experiences of the same brand.  My experience is
that Bell makes the best system from what I have fitted and removed on
my car (but not heated up yet), and what I feel is the best quality for
the money, my opinion, my experience.  It is Fiction that mild steel
fits differently than stainless just because it is stainless steel, pure
crap.  There are crap mild steel systems, and crap stainless systems.
The fittment depends on how good or bad a day the pipe bender was having
at the moment.  The rattle depends on how well the internals in the
mufflers are welded up, if the fitting of the rear pipes after the
mufflers through the diff frame holes is right, if good quality clamps
are used, and if original style rubber mountings are supplied.  Ask the
mechanic what brand of system rattles from his experiences, how many he
has seen that rattle, why and where they rattle, and if you can salvage
his scrap pile for the stainless exhaust parts for free.
	Trivia Question #1:  What exhaust manufacturer makes an original
fittment stock exhaust now for the Stag, and is it made on the original
tool bending jigs as the original pipes?
	Answer #1:  All of them!  Every exhaust manufacturer will tell you
straight to your face that the exhaust is bent to "original
specification", the same for the mufflers.  Pure BS. Even call Midas or
Mineke.  Ask them to see the Standard Triumph spec sheet!

In my humble opinion, yours for speculation.  Hope it helps.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP

"Keep Your Stag Cool, Install a NEW Composite Cowl Today"
See it at the site below:
http://pw1.netcom.com/~gmerrel/stagcowl001.html

Support your Local and National Triumph Clubs

Vintage Triumph Register membership inquiry's:
http://www.vtr.org/brochure/membership-form.html

Triumph Stag Club, USA membership inquiry's to:
Bruce Krobusek, President
mailto:brucekro@domain.elided

Triumph Stag Registry UK membership inquiry's to:
Mike Wattam, Chairman
mailto:101714.1343@domain.elided